In Episode #164 Ari invites PhD and author of Two Awesome Hours, Josh Davis, on the Less Doing podcast. During this weekâ€™s interview, Ari and Josh go in-depth on the subject of brains, neural programming and why working for great lengths of time is far from being the right way to tackle a busy schedule.
Fuel the Fire
Come watch Ari light-up the Drake Hotel in Chicago on Wednesday, August 5th as he delivers a rousing keynote speech for IPPA Business Excellence Conference: Fuel the Fire. This will be a great opportunity to watch Ari translate the lessons of Less Doing into terms business leaders can take to the bank.
Come watch Ari regale a roundtable of avid Helm Society listeners with the lessons of Less Doing on September 9th from 10AM to 2PM in New York City.
Subscribe to the Podcast or Leave Us a Review!
Hey Less Doing Podcast Listeners, we want to hear from YOU! Visit us on iTunes and leave a review or subscribe to the podcast if youâ€™re not already a dedicated follower.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 30:46 â€“ Introduction of Josh Davis of Two Awesome Hours
- 31:05 â€“ Josh defines the NeuroLeadership Institute
- 32:47 â€“ Joshâ€™s background is varied but he eventually fell into psychology and research
- 34:15 â€“ The genesis for Two Awesome Hours
- 34:30 â€“ More and moreâ€”people are being overwhelmed with work and the natural response is to work harder, longer and more frequentlyâ€”this is a terrible solution for a human being
- 35:15 â€“ What we can do, is be very effective for short bursts of timeâ€”weâ€™re sprinters
- 36:23 â€“ You donâ€™t need to be â€œONâ€ all day long
- 37:12 â€“ People who brag about how much work they do or how little they sleep are (for lack of a better word) foolish
- 38:52 â€“ The strategies Josh recommends
- 38:58 â€“ There really are only a handful of moments throughout the day where we can make decisions about what task to do next
- 39:39 â€“ Most of the time weâ€™re rolling on auto pilot so recognize those few moments when youâ€™re fully aware and present
- 40:39 â€“ Do whatâ€™s important, not whatâ€™s urgent
- 41:12 â€“ Time isnâ€™t wasted during those moments weâ€™re â€œin-betweenâ€ tasksâ€¦time is wasted when we get started on the wrong task
- 41:30 â€“ Joshâ€™s routine
- 43:46 â€“ Exercise has incredible short-term benefits
- 46:00 â€“ Things that we need to do â€œwellâ€ are things where we need to be fully present
- 48:04 â€“ The importance of environment and how we can improve any workspace
- 49:03 â€“ ADD isnâ€™t a problemâ€”thatâ€™s how your brain, your attention system, is supposed to work
- 51:59 â€“ Joshâ€™s Top 2 Tips to be More Effective:
- 52:07 â€“ Learn some self-compassion
- 52:48 â€“ Understand that mind-wandering is completely healthy
7 Key Points:
- Enjoy the moments when your mind decides to wanderâ€”let it happen.
- Your brain is naturally wired to have what essentially amounts to ADDâ€”itâ€™s not a problem.
- Obtain self-compassion.
- You canâ€™t be â€œON all day and, more importantly, you donâ€™t need to be.
- We can be incredibly effective for short periods of time.
- Time isnâ€™t wasted in-between tasks, itâ€™s wasted when the wrong task is started.
- Exercise has amazing and oft-overlooked short-term benefits.
- Warrant.ly â€“ Paper warranties are no more! Scan or snap a picture of your warranty and upload it to the app
- Ultradox â€“ Like IFTTT or Zapier but for documents
- Build Fire â€“ Build amazing mobile apps in minutes
- AwardMeApp â€“ An app that tracks your spending and credit card offers so you never miss an opportunity to earn free travel points
- Blood Test for Viruses â€“ VirScanâ€”a $25 test that uses a drop of blood to determine every virus you have ever been exposed to
- InboxVudu â€“ An app that does three things to optimize your inbox
- Test Results That Shouldnâ€™t Alarm â€“ Medical Daily article explaining that some â€œpositiveâ€ tests in labs arenâ€™t worth getting excited about
- Coral Life â€“ Not super innovative, but usefulâ€”an interactive home-guide for guests staying in your home
- Waze â€“ Travel app focusing on travel and navigation
- Vitamin B Complex â€“ Has proven to be a HUGE energy boost for Felix
Reviews, Comments and Questions:
- 03:30 â€“ Review â€“ From UK listener SI1605 â€“ â€œThis is an indispensable podcast to me. Each podcast is split into two sections. In the first part Ari â€“ and sometimes another person â€“ discuss the latest productivity hacks and apps they have foundâ€¦very useful and I always have a pen and paper to write down what I am going to try out next. In the second part, Ari interviews a guest about their productivity tips. An excellent podcast that I will recommend to all!â€
Get the FREE Optimize, Automate, Outsource Blueprint here.
Direct download: LD_164_JoshDavis.mp3
-- posted at: 11:00pm EDT