In Episode #164 Ari invites PhD and author of Two Awesome Hours, Josh Davis, on the Less Doing podcast. During this week’s interview, Ari and Josh go in-depth on the subject of brains, neural programming and why working for great lengths of time is far from being the right way to tackle a busy schedule.
Fuel the Fire
Come watch Ari light-up the Drake Hotel in Chicago on Wednesday, August 5th as he delivers a rousing keynote speech for IPPA Business Excellence Conference: Fuel the Fire. This will be a great opportunity to watch Ari translate the lessons of Less Doing into terms business leaders can take to the bank.
Come watch Ari regale a roundtable of avid Helm Society listeners with the lessons of Less Doing on September 9th from 10AM to 2PM in New York City.
Subscribe to the Podcast or Leave Us a Review!
Hey Less Doing Podcast Listeners, we want to hear from YOU! Visit us on iTunes and leave a review or subscribe to the podcast if you’re not already a dedicated follower.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 30:46 – Introduction of Josh Davis of Two Awesome Hours
- 31:05 – Josh defines the NeuroLeadership Institute
- 32:47 – Josh’s background is varied but he eventually fell into psychology and research
- 34:15 – The genesis for Two Awesome Hours
- 34:30 – More and more—people are being overwhelmed with work and the natural response is to work harder, longer and more frequently—this is a terrible solution for a human being
- 35:15 – What we can do, is be very effective for short bursts of time—we’re sprinters
- 36:23 – You don’t need to be “ON” all day long
- 37:12 – People who brag about how much work they do or how little they sleep are (for lack of a better word) foolish
- 38:52 – The strategies Josh recommends
- 38:58 – There really are only a handful of moments throughout the day where we can make decisions about what task to do next
- 39:39 – Most of the time we’re rolling on auto pilot so recognize those few moments when you’re fully aware and present
- 40:39 – Do what’s important, not what’s urgent
- 41:12 – Time isn’t wasted during those moments we’re “in-between” tasks…time is wasted when we get started on the wrong task
- 41:30 – Josh’s routine
- 43:46 – Exercise has incredible short-term benefits
- 46:00 – Things that we need to do “well” are things where we need to be fully present
- 48:04 – The importance of environment and how we can improve any workspace
- 49:03 – ADD isn’t a problem—that’s how your brain, your attention system, is supposed to work
- 51:59 – Josh’s Top 2 Tips to be More Effective:
- 52:07 – Learn some self-compassion
- 52:48 – Understand that mind-wandering is completely healthy
7 Key Points:
- Enjoy the moments when your mind decides to wander—let it happen.
- Your brain is naturally wired to have what essentially amounts to ADD—it’s not a problem.
- Obtain self-compassion.
- You can’t be “ON all day and, more importantly, you don’t need to be.
- We can be incredibly effective for short periods of time.
- Time isn’t wasted in-between tasks, it’s wasted when the wrong task is started.
- Exercise has amazing and oft-overlooked short-term benefits.
- Warrant.ly – Paper warranties are no more! Scan or snap a picture of your warranty and upload it to the app
- Ultradox – Like IFTTT or Zapier but for documents
- Build Fire – Build amazing mobile apps in minutes
- AwardMeApp – An app that tracks your spending and credit card offers so you never miss an opportunity to earn free travel points
- Blood Test for Viruses – VirScan—a $25 test that uses a drop of blood to determine every virus you have ever been exposed to
- InboxVudu – An app that does three things to optimize your inbox
- Test Results That Shouldn’t Alarm – Medical Daily article explaining that some “positive” tests in labs aren’t worth getting excited about
- Coral Life – Not super innovative, but useful—an interactive home-guide for guests staying in your home
- Waze – Travel app focusing on travel and navigation
- Vitamin B Complex – Has proven to be a HUGE energy boost for Felix
Reviews, Comments and Questions:
- 03:30 – Review – From UK listener SI1605 – “This is an indispensable podcast to me. Each podcast is split into two sections. In the first part Ari – and sometimes another person – discuss the latest productivity hacks and apps they have found…very useful and I always have a pen and paper to write down what I am going to try out next. In the second part, Ari interviews a guest about their productivity tips. An excellent podcast that I will recommend to all!”
Get the FREE Optimize, Automate, Outsource Blueprint here.
Direct download: LD_164_JoshDavis.mp3
-- posted at: 11:00pm EDT